Back to the 90s
BlitWorks has announced that it will be releasing its retro-inspired arcade racer Slipstream on PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch on April 7th, 2022 for the pocket-money friendly price of $9.99/8.99€.
Slipstream is a labour of love by a solo Brazilian developer, Sandro Luiz de Paula, who has built his own custom game engine to recreate those classic graphical effects that made the days of the SEGA Master System such a joy.
Slipstream has been available for a while on PC via Steam where the game has been well received by players, so it’s a fair bet to say that the console version will hold up to scrutiny, though don’t go expecting it to compete with Gran Turismo 7 or GRID Legends…
The real thing: Built on a custom engine, Slipstream brings authentic 2D sprite-scaling graphics to modern platforms.
Multiplayer: Local split-screen fun, up to 4 players!
Time rewinding: Made a mistake? Press the rewind button to travel back in time for up to 5 seconds and try again.
20 Different tracks: Set on a variety of exotic locations all around the world… and beyond.
5 Playable cars: Inspired by classic models from the 80s and 90s.
Accessibility Options: There are 3 difficulty levels to choose from, some visual effects can be turned off and, most importantly, the game speed can be reduced up to 50%, giving players more time to react, but keeping the game physics exactly the same.
6 Game modes:
– Grand Tour: Scenic trip through five stages, with rival racers to beat and branching paths to choose.
– Cannonball: Freely customizable race mode with optional traffic, rivals and other racers.
– Grand Prix: Championship mode composed of five races, with season scores and optional car customization.
– Single Race: Simple race mode, with customizable settings.
– Time Trial, a solo race against time.
– Battle Royale, an elimination endurance race mode.
– 5 Car models, each with its own specs and playstyle.
Original soundtrack with 9 exclusive songs by Stefan Moser (Effoharkay) .
Graphical Options: Including Pixelated, CRT and NTSC filters, for a faithful retro experience.
And much more: Mechanics such as drifting and the slipstream, rival characters and secrets to discover…