2K and Turtle Rock’s big announcement relating to Evolve is that there’s an Arena Mode being added to the game. Yep, an arena mode.
Basically, it takes the core concept of the game and shifts the focus into a full on deathmatch.
How it works:
The short version: The Monster and the Hunter squad all get dropped into a dome. No escape, no excuses – this ain’t over until someone goes down!
· The new Arena Mode places five fixed domes on each of the 14 maps in Evolve. For those not up on your math, that’s 70 locked-down venues, ready for brawling.
· At the start, you select a map, then you’re in for a best-of-three series of hardcore firefights. The Monster and Hunters are locked in that dome until one side is eliminated. After that match, you immediately jump to another dome on the same map for round two – that continues until there’s a victor.
- All the Hunters and Monster begin each match with one perk.
· Monsters start at Stage 2 with 50 percent armor, but can feed on wildlife in battle to regain armor and even evolve to Stage 3. (Though the size of the mobile arena makes this a tough task.)
· The dome isn’t coming down. So, for all you Trappers out there, your job got a little easier.
· There is no dropship timer. Once a Hunter dies in battle, they have to sit it out until the next fight.
· Players can’t change their character or perk selection between rounds, but Monster players can change their abilities.
Obviously, if you’re looking to get competitive with Evolve, something like an Arena Mode is going to be awesome to play – or watch. That’s just a taste of things to come.
Speaking on the live Twitch stream, it’s noted that the rounds are a lot shorter than the original hunt-mode and the focus is more on all-out combat, something that should hopefully bring more players and boost the game’s ailing player numbers.
It’s also mentioned that the new arena mode can be used as a learning tool for those who’re not too familiar with the hunt mode and is the perfect ground to practice with the hard-to-master monsters.
Arena mode should be available right at this very moment, so go ahead and start downloading the latest title update. Oh and better yet, it’s completely free!
And if that was a bit too scary and gory for you, here’s another video to cheer you up.