As all Star Trek fans are aware, Star Trek into Darkness is coming out next year, May 17th in case you didn’t know. If that seems too long to wait to get your fill of Star Trek action, there’s also a game releasing shortly before the movie appears in cinemas.
Before you read any further, take a look at the Playstation 3 box art, and the complete lack of colour…
Releasing on April 23rd, the game, simply titled Star Trek, will be available on Xbox 360, Playstation 3, Wii U and PC. There’s even some pre-order incentives, those who go for the “Elite Officers Pack” will receive the following:
“Elite Officers Pack,”
- Stealth Pack: Kirk and Spock stealth uniforms, plus Starfleet Type IV Stealth Sniper Rifle and extra ammo
- Brawler Pack: Kirk leather jacket costume and Spock Vulcan Science Academy uniform
- Kelvin Pack: Kirk and Spock USS Kelvin uniforms, plus USS Kelvin Hand Phaser
- Academy Pack: Kirk Academy Uniform, Spock Officer Dress Uniform, plus Academy Phaser
- Kobayashi Maru Pack: Kirk and Spock Kobayashi Maru uniforms
Video-games based on movies are usually pretty dire, just take the recent 007 Legends as the worst possible example of what can be done with a popular license, it practically ran Eurocom, the games developer, into the ground.
That being said, I actually have a bit more faith in Star Trek. Firstly, it’s being developed by Digital Extreme who have a good history of making quality games, maybe you even played a few, heard of Unreal Tournament, The Darkness II or Dark Sector? They had a hand in all of them, especially Unreal Tournament, in which they actually co-created the series along with Epic Games. So forgive me for saying it early, but I think we already have a sleeper hit ready for 2013.
Will you be getting Star Trek? Or are you going to wait for the reviews first? Let us know in the comments below.