Sumo Digital – the developers behind this years LittleBigPlanet 3 – are currently working on several AAA projects, with at least one being powered by the Unreal 4 game engine.
Some recent job postings over on the Sumo Digital website reveal to us that the UK-based studio is searching for a Physics Programmer to join their team in Sheffield.
We have an exciting Physics Programmer opportunity working in Unreal 4 on a large, undisclosed AAA project currently in pre-production.
The Senior Physics Programmer’s primary responsibility is to design and implement complex engine components. Must also exhibit excellent verbal and written communication skills, a high level of understanding towards game technology production and an adaptability to meet the needs of multiple projects utilizing common technology.
- Development of technical design specification, implementation and test plans
- Testing, debugging and revision of new or legacy engine systems
- Profiling, performance-analysis, performance tuning
- Researching state of the art techniques and contributing innovative and original ideas towards all aspects of game production and development
- Working with Technology Programmers, Development Directors, QA Testers and game project production staff
- Support other programmers on team
- Providing mentorship to Technology Programmers
- Meet production schedules and deadlines
Essential Skills and Expertise:
- Proficiency in C/C++, minimum of 5 years of experience
- 4 years’ experience working in the game industry required
- 3+ years’ experience in console programming
- Excellent debugging and communication skills
- Practical experience with 3D maths
- Worked on at least 2 shipped games
- At least 3 years of programming experience with emphasis on physics and/or vehicle simulation
- Experience writing simulation code for components such as collisions, contact force calculation, fluid-dynamics, etc.
- Exposure to GJK, Featherstone, continuous physics, union-find, sweep and prune and other game physics algorithms
- Experience with commercial game physics packages
- Experience with multithreaded/SPU programming
Admittedly there’s not a lot to go on, but the mention of vehicle simulation and collision focused physics is certainly interesting. Possibly another driving sim for the PS4/Xbox One?
A second career opportunity posting for a Lead World Designer also notes that the studios is working on a ” large, genre defining, unannounced AAA title” and that the project will be an “industry changing game.”
The company website also mentions that the studio have several unannounced but “extraordinarily exciting AAA games in production.”
Sumo Digital have been knocking around for just over a decade and in that time they’ve enjoyed a moderate level of success. Recent titles that have been shipped out of Sumo Digital’s studios, more recently LittleBigPlanet 3 for the PS4 and PS3 as well as the Xbox 360 version of Forza Horizon 2.
What do you think they’re up to? Looking forward to seeing more from this developer? Share your thoughts down in the comments section below.
Want to contact the author? Abuse him here – @ChrisHardingTGC
Join The Games Cabin on Facebook to get all the latest gaming news, reviews, rumours, trailers and more.